The 2021 nomination period is now closed. Awardees will be announced in September.
Watch the 2021 Director’s Awards Process video:
April 1 – May 31
|Director’s Awards – Nomination Period|
June 1 – June 30
|Divisional Recognition Committees review nominations and select those to move forward (vetted with ALDs)|
|July||Lab-wide Recognition Committee reviews nominations and sends recommendations to Lab Director and Deputy Lab Directors|
|July||Lab Director and Deputy Lab Directors for Research and Operations make final award determinations|
|Award recipients are notified; selections announced|
|Award ceremony and reception|
Nominations can be submitted until 11:59 pm on the deadline. Any Berkeley Lab Employee may submit a nomination, no self-nominations are allowed.
- Once the nomination period has closed, submitted nominations are reviewed at the Division/Area level. A maximum of two nominations per award category from each Division Review Committee can be selected to move forward for Lab Recognition Committee (LRC) Review. We are allowing a third nomination as long as total nominations in the category do not exceed two scientific or ops staff members.
- Divisions may revise or edit nominations during the review period, up to the DRC deadline (work with your division reviewer).
- The Lab Recognition Committee (LRC) goes through a pre-selection of all nominations, reviewing and ranking each nomination and advancing the top nominations in each award area to the final stage.
- Next, the final group of nominations are reviewed at the Lab-wide Recognition Committee meeting. During this meeting, the LRC will review nomination packages and slides, and will vote on each nomination. Votes are weighted and ranked, and up to 15 Director’s Award Nominations and 2 Berkeley Lab Prize Nominations are recommended to the Lab Director.
- Note: Presenters are no longer required to present nomination slides during the LRC meeting.
- In consultation with the Deputy Laboratory Directors, the Lab Director makes the final determination of achievements and individuals and/or teams to be recognized with awards.